Friday, June 27, 2008

Book Meme Redux


Darla tagged me with this meme which I did awhile back. This one is easy to do over and over because there's no such thing as too many books. At least there isn't in our apartment.

Here's how to play:

1. Pick up the nearest book.

2. Open to page 123

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the next three sentences.

5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

The nearest book is the one I'm currently reading. It's actually an Advance Reading Copy of my cousin's book, due to be released July 29th.

The Mistress Diaries is the second book in the Pembroke Palace series. Here we follow the story of darkly troubled Lord Vincent Sinclair. He was a very angry character in brother Devon's story, In My Wildest Fantasies. I couldn't wait to see how Julianne could redeem such a wounded man who lashed out with no holding back.

But Julianne is the Mistress of Redeemed Heroes. She gives us a character who's still very, very dark, even in his own book. But we see the world from his point of view and we feel for him - deeply. Especially since we see Vincent through the eyes of Cassandra Montrose, Lady Colchester, a woman who never falls for the charms of notorious rakes. Until she decides that she deserves one wild night of passion after an emotional shock that leaves her reeling.

Let's go to page 123 now. Vincent is in the drawing room with his fiancee, Lady Letitia.

The excerpt:

" 'Again, I do apologize.'

'Apology accepted.' But then she let out a sharp little sigh of displeasure and began to deliver what sounded rather like a lecture."


Those rakes - always apologizing...

Now, a-tagging I will go, a-tagging I will go:

Claudia
Isabella
Olga
Sans
Shelley

13 comments:

HeatherK said...

I'm so looking forward to reading this. 28 days to go.

HeatherK said...

I had the wrong date, need to wait three more days from my 28 day countdown.

Sans Pantaloons said...

You have set me in motion. Have meme will travel.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Heather - just got your invite to Emily's Gallery and had a lovely meander this morning. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag! I'll do it this weekend for sure... also, check my reply to you on my blog. Im surprised you never saw the youtube!

Thomma Lyn said...

You're right, there's no such thing as too many books! My bookshelves, groaning under so much weight, probably don't agree. ;-D

Your cousin's book sounds intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Hurray for a tag - you are a wonderful cousin to support her upcoming book! :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Claudia - she is a wonderful sister/cousin whom I grew up with like a sibling. Last night she picked me up from work, we went out to dinner, she bought her dress for the Rita ceremony at RWA Nationals, and then we saw 'Wanted', as we both adore James McAvoy! I love my Cuz.

Wylie Kinson said...

Sounds like a Must Acquire!

How did you like Wanted? I can't wait to see that one.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Wylie - the director for 'Wanted', Timur Bekmambetov, made those two Russian urban paranormal films I've raved about, 'Night Watch' and 'Day Watch'. I already knew how fabulous it would be - and it kicked some serious ass. And I LOVE James McAvoy - and the Russian actor I also love, Konstantin Khabensky, was pulled onto this Hollywood crossover film by Bekmambetov. So basically I was in heaven. And I adore superhero origin stories, and 'Wanted' is basically an origin story.

WHY must I wait for it to be released on DVD...?!?

Shelley Munro said...

I've done my meme, Julia, but it won't appear until tomorrow. Have a fun weekend!

Jill said...

Julia, my niece is saying "Marraine, I saw her at halifax! It's true!"
I just told her that you live there!

Wylie Kinson said...

Julia -- Hubby is away so I have to wait until next weekend to see it. :(
MacLeans magazine had some good things to say about it.