Friday, February 29, 2008

4 Things Meme

Dorothy over at Scrungy and Friends tagged me for this one.

4 Jobs I've Had:


Live-in nanny to Claire. She was 14 months old when I started and 3 years old when I left. She'd started preschool by then.





I didn't go very far - I moved in with her uncle Dave! I'm still very close to her family and I'll always love her very, very dearly.






Sales associate at Simpson's Queen Street store in Toronto, Children's Shoes (later, also Infants' Wear and Nursery Furniture.)


I met my war buddy Lisa (because retail is in the trenches) and that makes the night sweats and flashbacks tolerable. She brings the silver-lining-to-every-black-cloud concept to life.



Reception and accounting clerk for a bankruptcy trustee's office. This is the most stress I've ever experienced in a job - ever. I hate accounting. How did I end up doing monthly reconcilliations? My best friend Connie summed it up perfectly: "It's not that you made mistakes. That would be understandable. It's that it balanced...!" The scary part is - I have no idea why it balanced.

Camera B operator, assistant editor and writer for Tales of a Psychic Medium. My uncle hired me for these three roles, and it was an absolute joy for me to work with him. And it was my very first paid writing gig - so this will always hold a very special place in my heart.

4 Movies Watched Over and Over:


Gladiator















Kate and Leopold

















Phantom of The Opera
















Sleepy Hollow
















4 Places I Have Lived:

Fort Hood Army base, Killeen, Texas, USA - for my first three months here on planet Earth
Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - until age 6
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - I moved there when I was 21 and left when I was 34
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada - arrived when I was 34 and left two years later

4 Shows I Watch:


CBS Sunday Morning












The Colbert Report













The Family Guy













King of the Hill











4 Places I Have Been:

Cavendish, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada


Mackinac Island, Michigan, USA



That's my sister, 1985

She's in front of the Grand Hotel





Orlando, Florida, USA

4 Favorite Things to Eat:

Greek salad
Rice
7-Layer Burritos
Chocolate

4 Places I Would Rather Be:

At sea, sailing on a tall ship - haven't done this yet, but longing to
At the Chelsea Flower Show in London
In Scotland
In Sweden

4 Things I Look Forward To This year:

Typing 'The End' on several works in progress
Hopefully a joyful family event
Going up to Cape Breton for the Celtic Colours event - we've been wanting to do that since we moved back to Halifax 7 years ago
Seeing whether or not the three apple trees from seedlings my gram started will bloom for the first time

A-tagging I will go, a-tagging I will go...
Shelley, No Nonsense Girl, Ann, and Jill.

9 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

I love "Kate & Leopold" and "Sleepy Hollow" too. :)

Jill said...

Julia! :P
I will have to figure out which movies I watch again and again!
And Kate and Leopold was the movie that made me realise that Hugh could impersonate almost any characters!

Shelley Munro said...

Hmmm, this will take some thinking about. Have a wonderful weekend, Julia.

Dorothy said...

Thanks for playing. I'd never seen Head Will Roll...I've got to check that out.

I just saw,too, where you read your first Cat Who book. My daughter got me hooked on them back with I was having radiation for cancer--five years ago. I've got every book. And have read all but the last three, twice. I'm a Qwillern fan...Koko and Yum Yum's fan, too.

Hugs...D

Anonymous said...

Gladiator -- YEAH! I love that movie. That would have made my list today (I have lots of favorite movies and my list of four would vary day to day :-D ).

I hope your apple trees bloom! How exciting! And how precious that your gram planted the seedlings. Grams sure are special people. :)

Akelamalu said...

That made really interesting reading Julia. :)

Unknown said...

When I was in school I worked at the shoe department in Eaton's - loved those baby shoes.

Gladiator and Kate and Leopold - several hours with Russell and Hugh - what could be better?

Addicted to crafting said...

Hey girl, I just saw this, I'll be doing it. :)


Thanks!!!! :)

Ann said...

I've just finished mine, now to find someone to tag. :)