Friday, May 30, 2008

The Band Meme









I found this meme over at Heather's blog and decided to give it a go. Here's how it goes:

You are about to have your own band's CD cover. Follow these directions to the letter.

1. Click here for a Random article

The first article title on the page is the name of your band.

2. Click here for a Random quote

The last four words of the very last quote is the title of your album.

3. Click here for a Random picture

The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

4. Use your graphics program of choice to throw them together.

The original meme is over at Mimi Writes if you want to grab the code. Consider this a tag if you want to play.

Cover art photo by Matt Abinante


Who is Ryan Craig?

Well, in my mind he looks like Jonas Armstrong from BBC's Robin Hood. We'll make him an East Coast musician from the Halifax area. Since I'm supposed to be in this band, I'll be back-up vocals to his lead vocals. We've also got a guitarist, a bass player, drums and keyboards. We've got a classic east coast sound - celtic-flavored rock with an alternative spin.


Let's make a dream band for Ryan Craig, shall we?


On back-up vocals - yours truly.
















On lead guitar - Charlie A'Court.
















On bass - Andy Patil

from Matt Mays and El Torpedo














On drums - Murray Downey

from The Carson Downey Band









On keyboards - Peter Elkas







from Joel Plaskett Emergency

I've decided to take this a little farther and make up a list of tracks that would be on the CD. After twenty years together, we're going a little nostalgic on this CD, re-doing the covers that were a staple of our early bar scene years. Enjoy!

Track list



1 - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths





2 - Show Me - The Pretenders





3 - Behind The Wheel - Depeche Mode





4 - Tunnel of Love - Bruce Springsteen

















5 - Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage








6 - I Can't Be With You - The Cranberries




7 - Don't Look Back - Fine Young Cannibals





8 - Love Street - The Doors





9 - It's Good to be King - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers





10 - Dolly Dagger - Jimi Hendrix





11 - What You Need - INXS





12 - Milgram's 37 (we do what we're told) - Peter Gabriel

14 comments:

Annette Gallant said...

This is great, Julia. I'd pay to see your band perform.

maryt/theteach said...

Julia, what a job you've done with the Band meme. When I did it I just made a cover for my band... You've picked tracks that I love to listen to. Thanks! :D

Akelamalu said...

You've done a great job of this Julia, when I did it I just did the cd cover.

Unknown said...

You've put a lot of thought into this, Julia! You secretly have always dreamed of being part of a rock band, haven't you?

TTYS, Sniz

Thomma Lyn said...

Cool Beans! That's a fun-looking meme. And what a neat band you came up with!

You picked out excellent songs to cover. I'm a huge fan of Peter Gabriel, Tom Petty, the Doors, and Jimi Hendrix's music! :)

Shelley Munro said...

Wow! You have put a great deal of thought into your band. I hope you're playing at a venue near me soon. ;)

Ann said...

Maybe your band can open for Shapeshifter? That would be an awesome gig. :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Ann - I'm not sure if my band has the same crowd as ShapeShifter. But it would kiss ass!

SandyCarlson said...

I love what you've done with this meme. I like the mood, too. All of your choices bring me back to some familiar old territory!

HeatherK said...

Wow Fantastic Julia. It Took me long enough to figure out how to use the graphics thing For my Band cover.

Toni said...

Ah, this post gave me great flashbacks. When I was in college, I worked at Camelot Music. It was AWESOME having so many artists and musical styles surround me.
Blessings,
~Toni~

Karina said...

I love how you took this meme and then just completely expanded it and made it your own. LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Interesting story as for me. It would be great to read a bit more about this theme. The only thing it would also be great to see here is some pics of any gizmos.
David Watcerson
Block phone

Eustace said...

Goodness, there is a lot of worthwhile info above!
ours polaire