Friday, March 21, 2008

Crazy 8's Meme

Karina at Candid Karina tagged me for this Crazy 8's Meme:

8 things I'm passionate about

1 - ballet (I know...crazy...)
2 - film
3 - the Victorian period
4 - art
5 - sci-fi/fantasy genre
6 - sword-fighting scenes
7 - poetry
8 - easing people's day-to-day troubles (it's usually as simple as listening to someone for a few minutes)

8 things I want to do before I die

1 - visit Portmeirion, in Wales, where The Prisoner was shot in the 1960's.
2 - feel chills erupt as I watch Gerard Butler play my vampire, in a film based on my book.
3 - walk the red carpet of my film premiere.
4 - attend the Oscars as a nominee.
5 - watch the former Kirov Ballet, returned to its true name of the Mariinski Ballet at the Mariinski Theatre in St. Petersburg.
6 - visit the Hermitage Museum, also in St. Petersburg.
7 - go hillwalking in Scotland.
8 - own my own longsword.

8 things I often say

1 - "Beep-beep! Beep-beep!" (to my dog Xena)
2 - "Hello Little Girl! I love you - yes, I do!" (to Xena)
3 - (after my husband asks me if I've had my green tea when my head is bothering me) "...no..." You'd think by now I would realize that at some point during our every-afternoon-while-I'm-at-work phone call, he's going to remind me about having green tea. But every time he asks me I have to sheepishly admit I hadn't thought about it yet, even though my head is killing me.
4 - "This is the best/funniest thing...ever!"
5 - "Whatya watchin'?" (to my husband, every time I walk into the living room.)
6 - "Love you." (numerous times per day to my honey)
7 - "I'll be over in a minute." (to my husband, referring to getting off the computer, usually several times over an hour-and-a-half to a two-hour period. He just laughs at me.)
8 - The F-word, at some point every time I have a migraine. Not very often at other times.


8 books I've recently read or am reading

1 - Heart of The Nile by Gabriella Hewitt
2 - The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
3 - In My Wildest Fantasies by Julianne MacLean
4 - The Cat Who Sang For The Birds by Lilian Jackson Braun
5 - Firebird by Mercedes Lackey
6 - The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
7 - The Bond That Ties Us by Christine d'Abo
8 - Love Me Wild by Renee Field

8 songs I could listen to over and over

1 - Why by Annie Lennox
2 - Natural Blues by Moby
3 - You Look So Fine by Garbage
4 - Perfect Day by Lou Reed
5 - One For My Baby (And One More For The Road) by Frank Sinatra
6 - Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66
7 - The Boy With the Thorn in His Side by The Smiths
8 - Desert Rose by Sting with Cheb Mami

8 things that attract me to my best friends

1 - creative, artistic people. My friends inspire me. They write, make films, paint, take photographs, sing in operas, make quilts, act, dance and draw.
2 - lifelong students. My friends are usually taking some course or other, or just pursuing their craft, constantly refining it, discovering new ways of perfecting it.
3 - highly spiritual people. My friends come from different faith backgrounds, yet all seek to understand the sacred mysteries.
4 - compassionate people. My friends would stop and help a fallen runner in their own race.
5 - edgy, witty people. My friends share my dark sense of humor. Lots of zingers and laughs. Often at our own expense.
6 - intellectuals and total geeks. My friends and I walk the fine line. Luckily we're very tolerant of each others' quirks.
7 - movers and shakers. My friends are on political committees, run associations, start companies and then volunteer here and there and everywhere.... They make me tired...
8 - obsessive people. OCD doesn't always have to count as a minus. I'd say most of my friends have some obsessive quality that helps them get their art out of their heads and into the world. I could use more of it, actually.

8 people I'm tagging:

1 - Amy Ruttan
2 - Wylie Kinson
3 - Red Garnier
4 - Christine d'Abo
5 - Leah Braemel
6 - Olga
7 - Jill
8 - Annette

12 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

Ah another meme. This one will be easier because I am not reading anything at all right now. Nada, zip. I'll get to this one on Monday. :D

Sans Pantaloons said...

I would love to visit Portmeirion. I did investigate the possibility a while back, but never made any firm plans. I did receive the Prisoner DVD Box Set for Christmas, so that's keeping me entertained. I also have a few Danger Man episodes, so they fit in nicely as a prequel.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Sans - we got the 'Prisoner' DVD box set last Christmas! How I love it!! Maybe by the time we get to Portmeirion, you'll be heading that way, too. We could meet up. It'll take a few years, so don't start packing yet...

Olga said...

EIGHT??! I saw this on another blog and it was only 4 things! egads- we have a morphing meme here! whats it gonna be in a few days, 700 things I saw once, a long time ago, while I was drunk, maybe.

Akelamalu said...

That made for a great read Julia. I have been to Portmerrion, I blogged about it here http://akelamalu.blogspot.com/2007/03/prisoner.html
and posted some pictures if you want to take a look. It's a beautiful place, I hope you get there some day. :)

Annette Gallant said...

Great meme, as always, Julia. I always learn cool stuff about you. :-)

And thank you for tagging me. I fell off the blog wagon there and wanted to get back on. This will get the ball rolling.

Jill said...

Is this a sign that I need to do the last one?
And are you saving to go to Russia? It seems like a lot of your thing to do are there!
And in which category of friend do I go?

Annette Gallant said...

Okay, all done. Stop by when you get a chance! :-)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Jill - I'll go out on a limb and put you in the writer/poet category, lifelong student, edgy-witty category and obsessive people (the winner of Rhian's goddess portrait...ring any bells...?...and I should know, I was obsessively chasing you on that!)

Toni said...

I'm with you on those goals based on your gift of writing. And I'm coming to celebrate with you when you achieve them. ;)
Blessings,
~Toni~

Karina said...

Great answers! I loved learning new things about you. Thanks for doing it! :D

Wylie Kinson said...

What a great meme! I loved reading your answers (especially the one about GB playing your vamp - hee!)
I shall enjoy gettin to this one... eventually ;)