Monday, September 21, 2009

Through the Opera Glasses - 29 - Anticipation














Kim's year-long Blog Improvement Project at Sophisticated Dorkiness encouraged us to "look for blogging inspiration somewhere new.

There’s no real way to do this. If you’ve got a laptop, take it out of the house and write up a post somewhere different. If you don’t have a laptop, grab a pen and paper and do some brainstorming outside the house.

Go to the park, a local coffee shop, the library, a friend’s house, your backyard, wherever you feel like it. Just get away from where you usually blog to see what inspiration you might get from a change of scene."


I did this in a movie theatre while I was waiting for Gamer to start.

It wasn't hard to see that I was immediately drawing on sense memory for this exercise.


Many of you already know that one of my favorite places in the world - and favorite moment in life - is taking my place in a theatre seat, waiting for the show to begin.

It can be any kind of theatre, any kind of performance.

It can be a spot snagged among an outdoor crowd for the Busker Festival.

It can be a hardy sports stadium seat built to withstand drunken disappointment in a game, but serving me as a seat at the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo.

The hockey arena can be tucked out of sight so I can sit in surging anticipation for Lenny Kravitz and an amazing night of music.

It can be a no-frills wooden chair on homemade risers, awaiting a Fringe Festival performance.

It can be a seen-better-days upholstered seat scavenged from a renovated theatre as I sit just feet away from Michael Mahonen (Road to Avonlea's Gus) as he shows his acting chops in Salt Water Moon, a play by Newfoundland-born David French.

But there are two types of theatre seats that thrill me more than any other.

The basic cinema seat - where I have willingly whiled away countless sunny days in a darkened theatre. No matter how far technology takes us, no matter that I can watch films in an increasingly sophisticated home setting, I will always cherish viewing films as they are meant to be screened - in a theatre surrounded by other film lovers.



And the other one?

Why, a seat at the ballet, of course.

Where the orchestra tunes up as the lights go down to a quarter...






Thomma Lyn Grindstaff says The best part is often the anticipation of the delight to come. :)

Claudia says I love live theater - of any kind. We grew up watching it from an early age.

Michelle Johnson says Yes, a change of scenery can inspire one to write something fresh.

5 comments:

Thomma Lyn said...

As delightful as a performance can be, the best part is often the anticipation of the delight to come. :) Inspiration can be found in so many places.

On a limb with Claudia said...

I love live theater - of any kind. We grew up watching it from an early age. Opera, however, is not my favorite. Are you going to the ballet this season?

Michelle Johnson said...

Good Morning Julia~ Yes, a change of scenery can inspire one write something fresh.

I too love the theatre: the smells, curtains, seats, lighting and most of all the performances. I used to go to an outdoor theatre growing up. It was an excellent experience everytime. I'd love to see a good ballet. Hope all is well. Have a great day.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Very cool; I love this and your updating old posts. Dividing up those genres in the side bar must have taken forever!

I'm a big fan of movie theater seats that have arm rests that go up in the middle. I like being able to hold hands without having to bend my arms all over the place. I also love watching previews when I go to movies -- I get so excited about what I might go see in the future :)

Travis said...

The ballet season is underway here in the pacific northwest. It began with Romeo & Juliet, but we missed that performance. There are many shows left though, so we're determined to go at least once.