Monday, January 19, 2009

2009 Blog Improvement Project - 2


Brainstorming Ideas

Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness posted the second installment of her Blog Improvement series. This is a year-long challenge, and I've already reaped benefits from it even in its first month. Her first challenge to set goals and define my blog resulted in this definition for A Piece of My Mind:

This is a blog that celebrates the arts, encourages the creative, cheers the artist on and revels in the wonder of life.

I found myself really latching onto this idea from Kim:

"Use your brainstormed ideas to come up with a new, regular feature for your blog.

There are a lot of memes and stuff out there to participate in, but I think it’s cool when a blogger has a feature that is unique to them. Think about what makes your voice different, then come up with a feature that reflects that. There aren’t any 'rules' about the feature — just be yourself."


I can feel a new feature percolating already. An arts feature that will likely find its home on Tuesdays. I've had wonderful feedback on arts-related posts I've done, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on Through the Opera Glasses, debuting soon at A Piece of My Mind.

11 comments:

Louise said...

I think it is a great idea. I don't know much about opera myself and I never go to one either. But it would be interesting to know more about it, read some reviews etc. I am thinking of some sort of a personal meme which is a bit like your operathing, but not the same at all. I haven't thought all of it through yet, so I haven't posted about that yet....Have a GREAT day, day one of Sanity...?!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Bogsider, I'm already euphoric! I'm wearing red, white and blue with pride today!

Beth F said...

Great idea, and it'll be a bit different for the book blogging community. It will show us something about you!

Unknown said...

I like the mission statement for your blog! I may have to brainstorm and come up with a statement for mine.

Through the Opera Glasses sounds intriguing. Like Bogsider, I don't know much about opera, but I'd love to learn more from you.

Last year I started my Way Back Wednesday posts - both on my Rant and Book blogs. I highlight old movies and books I have loved from my childhood. I really need to come up with another idea for a unique feature this year.

Keep up the great work, Julia! I love visiting your site - and I learn so much!

Kelly Boyce said...

I like that idea, Julia. Good luck on the percolating.

Akelamalu said...

Happy percolating! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool, I am excited to see your new feature!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

M. said...

Through the Opera Glasses = fab (even thought I don't have a clue what it will be about - the music? the makeup? the costumes? the sets?)

I adore opera but almost never get a chance to go.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Great Idea! Hope you get it all worked out! It'll be interesting! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Travis Cody said...

I like the idea of coming up with a regular feature. I participate regularly in Manic Monday with Mo, but as you say it's not really my original meme or feature.

I'll have to give this some thought. Because, after all, my blog is Trav's Thoughts. I have thoughts and I share them!

Sharon said...

I love the art on your sidebar. Interesting idea about opera. Good luck.