Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thursday Thoughts - 2 - Views of the Halifax New Year's Blizzard From Inside Our Cozy House






As I'm posting this, we're snug tight in our house while a heavy wind and freezing rain warning unfurls its red banner across the Weather Network site.



As you can imagine, the intense low pressure system gave me some trouble, since even non-intense ones trigger my migraines. I had trouble getting into work this morning, and, shh, don't tell anyone, but I had no luck at all making sense of anything once I got there.

Brain like sludge. Had to use my surface-to-air-missile medication just to remain upright. By 11:00 am, the sudden extreme shift in the barometric pressure felt like two swords plunged into both sides of my head.


Rather like this graphic that Sans Pantaloons made for me. Hideous nausea, no lunchey for me.

But once the ice pellets began hitting the windows, the worst of the pain relented. Then all I had to do was hope the drive home from work at 5 wouldn't be an exciting thrill ride. It all went much more smoothly than I'd expected. I got home on time, into our cozy, comfy house, where I could listen to the ice pellets and just enjoy the sounds of the storm from in here.

For today's Thursday Thoughts, I'm sharing some of the photos I took on New Year's Day, when we rang in 2009 with a blizzard.


- 1


- 2



- 3



- 4



- 5



- 6



- 7



- 8



- 9



- 10



- 11



- 12



- 13

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, we had that storm on New Year's Eve. (I live south of Boston) white out conditions at times. Fun for all. and this morning was the strangest icy slush refreezing then more rain. YUCK. Hope you are feeling better.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

We had that storm on Tuesday (and have a new one over us now) -- I had the same migraine problem.

Must be that particular storm is particularly nasty.

Take care of your head!

Kailana said...

Have to love our fun weather, huh?

M. said...

Migraines - ugh. Too bad you live too far away for my DH to treat you - he's had some good chiropractic/acupuncture success with migraines.

Our 'storm' today was merely big, fat, lazy snowflakes. But it was enough of them that to pick my boys up from school I had to bundle my toddler into her mini-sled to make it over the honking big snowdrifts.

Can I distract you with the thought that I'm toying with the idea of a blogpost on three Gerard Butler movies?

Anonymous said...

It's about 20F here at the moment, getting down to 10F or so at night. Lots of snow! Amazing compared to the West, because public transit stays on time and schools open on time even in a foot of snow. NYC would have closed schools entirely, and Texas would have closed the entire city entirely! Kids here think I'm making it up when I tell them about "snow days"! Hope you're enjoying your snow! Happy New Year!

Amy Ruttan said...

Ugh don't remind me. We had freezing rain yesterday, and yep I had the barometer headache. Only thing is I can't take anything for it right now. bleh.

Ire said...

Brrrr...

Unknown said...

Wow - I'm glad you were safe and snug during this blast of winter! Cool photos!

Sorry about your migraine - I've never had a migraine, but I've suffered thru enough sinus headaches to know you were hurting.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

To all - my migraine was extreme but it has retreated with a spike of warm weather. Coastal living...you know I love it...

bkclubcare - 'fun for all' - LOL!!

Susan - I've noticed we have coinciding migraines. Sucks! I hope you're doing much, much, much, much better. And next week I'm going to get a money order for a certain little something...

Kailana - I have to say I can't complain too much because I actually like snow in the winter. Call me crazy.

M - maybe next time I'm in Toronto? DH? - Gerry! I'll be there!

Isabella - it does seem hilarious that a country like Canada, known for cold weather and snow during the winter months, can grind to a halt in heavy snow. It's the whole money thing. Cities scrimp on snow removal budgets and gamble that it won't have to deal with too much of the white stuff. Yeah, right.

Amy - if I had to face a migraine without my 'blues', as I call them (my blue painkillers) I might not make it. I'm serious.

Nikki - LOL! I'm currently wearing a turtleneck, a flannel shirt, comfy warm leggings, socks and thick fuzzy slippers. And I'm warm.

Bobbi - 'cool photos' (LOL!!)

Tempest Knight said...

Yikes! I don't know what to say. Hope you are all keeping yourselves warm.

Travis Cody said...

Yup yup! I recognize that white stuff. We got our share of it too, and I still haven't sorted through all the pictures.

As to your migraine situation, I've had my occular migraines triggered this week. I think it's a combination of the wonky weather and a bit of year end inventory stress. I usually just get the sparkly auras, but this week I've gotten the headaches too.

So I feel ya. Hang in there.

Wylie Kinson said...

Sorry to hear about your nasty headaches.
I don't mind snow/cold/blizzards, as long as I can stay toasty and warm inside the house.