Friday, April 1, 2011

5 on Friday - Set 60


Welcome to Day 1 of the A to Z Challenge.

Day 1 of course launches with the letter A.





Fridays at A Piece of My Mind means music. I take part in a musical meme called 5 on Friday, where Travis at Trav's Thoughts invites everyone to lay down a short set of music that takes their fancies.











Kick back, settle in and enjoy five tunes that start with the letter A.

1 - April Fools - Rufus Wainwright

Well, life's a train
That goes from February on
Day by day
But it's making a stop
On
April first

And you will believe in love
And all that it's supposed to be
But just until
The fish start to smell
And you're struck down
By a hammer


- Rufus Wainwright



2 - Analyse - The Cranberries

Don't analyse
Don't analyse
Don't go that way
Don't lead that way
That would paralyse
Your evolution


- Dolores O'Riordan



3 - Apocalypse Please - Muse

Proclaim eternal victory
Come on and change
The course of history
And pull us through
And pull us through
And this is the end
This is the end of the world


- Matthew Bellamy



4 - Across the Universe - The Beatles

Images of broken light
Which dance before me like a million eyes
They call me on and on
Across the universe

Thoughts meander
Like a restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly
As they make their way
Across the universe


- Lennon / McCartney



5 - Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie

They got a message from the Action Man
I'm happy
Hope you're happy, too
I've loved
All I've needed to love
Sordid details following

Ashes to ashes
Funk to funky
We know Major Tom's a junkie
Strung out in heaven's high
Hitting an all-time low


- David Bowie

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these tunes. Great choices to rock out a Friday and kick off the A to Z. Have an awesome weekend. :)

M.J. Fifield said...

Well, with the exception of Across the Universe, I'm unfamiliar with any of those songs. I love each and every one of those artists though so I guess that just makes me a bad fan.

Thanks for sharing!

M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Anonymous said...

Great selection of poetry/songs. My fav is Across the Universe :O)

Millerwrites said...

Nice blog!

Durward Discussion said...

Beatles and Rufus Wainwright. Now that's the way to start a day.

Linda said...

A'ight, you've got Muse, The Beatles, and David Bowie up this week so how can I not love this set?!? Thank goodness for the letter A!

I went with a band from your country this week - been one of my favorites for over a decade now!

Akelamalu said...

5 & 6 bring back memories for me. :)

Mike Golch said...

love the tunes. especially the Beatles.

Lisa said...

What a neat take on the challenge. I look foward to coming back frequently since you are just above me on the list of participants.

Lisa
Inspired By Lisa A-Z

Arlee Bird said...

I always like musical lists. How neat that you themed this with the letter A.


Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
Thanks.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Ella said...

Nice list; Love most of your choices!~ Fun to read!

Heather Henry said...

ooooh very fun! I wasn't expecting that. And I love the banner for your blog, I was hooked right there. Have a wonderful month of letters. I am looking forward to tomorrows! :)

Unknown said...

GREAT songs!! And a great way to start the alphabet!

Sig

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Wonderful start to the challenge, loved the post, and the music is just up my street.


Thanks for coming my way I appreciate it that goes without saying.
Good luck with the challenge.
Yvonne.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I have always loved the Cranberries and Across the Universe.

Talli Roland said...

Great A words - some of my favourites bands, too!

V.R. Leavitt said...

GREAT songs. I'm a huge David Bowie fan so thanks for including him in the list. :-)

Travis Cody said...

What a terrific way to combine two different features!

Ellie Garratt said...

Wow. David Bowie! Yay! Loved this post.

Ellie Garratt