Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - 37 - 13 New Year's Resolutions for 2008

I'm not usually one for making lists - not until I began Thursday Thirteen, that is. To-do lists roll around in my head without making it to paper, but it's the new year and this will be the first TT of 2008, so I figure 'what the heck?'

Here is my list of resolutions for 2008:



1 - Dig out my office.

Not my actual office, but might as well be...












2 - Sort through my stuff and move some of it along.












3 - Write some new poetry.








4 - Send my manuscript out to an agent.









5 - Feature awesome creative people on my TT.

Like my sister-in-law Anna, standing in front of her painting which hangs in our other sister-in-law's home. I'll be profiling Anna in next week's Thursday Thirteen.





6 - Keep working on my singing voice.
















7 - Attack the pile of brush on the side of the house.












8 - Plant new beds in the woodland garden.

Okay, the photo above (#7) is not the real pile of brush. It's actually visible in this photo, near the top left corner at the side of the house. In the foreground is the beginnings of the woodland garden. I already have forsythia, two types of roses, strawberry, sedum, hosta and lungwort well-established.



9 - Maintain my once-a-day walks with my dog.







10 - Remind myself constantly that I can't solve other people's problems, but I can listen and offer hugs.

Here I'm in full listening mode with Brad's Aunt Carol.







11 - Become a real live employee. You know - like Pinocchio wants to be a real live boy.
















12 - Seek out the elusive breaks from 24/7 pain.
















13 - Enjoy each gift of every moment with my beautiful family and my precious friends.

Here I'm surrounded by East Coast family - beside me, my cousin's wife Heather, in front is Laura, her mom and my cousin Julianne, and my sister Michelle.







Here I'm surrounded by Toronto family - at left, sister-in-law Violet and at right, sister-in-law Anna. Yes, the Anna of next week's Thursday Thirteen. Stay tuned...

Did you make any new year's resolutions?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made some writing-related resolutions -- basically to get my two rough drafts polished up, to hang in there with querying once I get to that point (not give up too easily), and to start a new novel, and maybe two! :)

Those are excellent New Year's Resolutions. I hear you on the decluttering -- I recently finished a major declutterization project, and oh, it feels so good to have it done -- it's like wow, I live in a house, not a junkpile! :)

Robin said...

I don't make real resolutions per se, I just think about more generic long-term goals.

Good luck with the ones you've selected for this year.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I dreamed last night that we were at The Tour Manager's parents' house and they actually had been able to put their car in their garage. Talk about wild!

As for the submitting the manuscript, I've got a whole big database of agents -- who to avoid, who's where and all that. If you'd like to use it, take a peek, or whatever, holler. You know I'm here to help.

Annette Gallant said...

Yay!! Glad you're back. Hope your trip went well.

And good luck with #4 on your list. That is also one of my resolutions for 2008.

Looking forward to next week's TT. I really like your SIL's painting in the photo.

Red Garnier said...

Happy New Year Julia! I love your resolutions and LOVE the pics! I want to diet, write, excercise, write, spend time with family. ;) Missed ya!! See you soon, promise.

Darla said...

Good goals--I wish you good luck in achieving them!

Karina said...

I made a resolution to not make any resolutions, which in turn means I broke my resolution simply by making it, didn't I? Whoo...my head is spinning now! ;-)

You've got a great list here. All important and realistic (as well as healthy) goals for the year!

Open Grove Claudia said...

Good luck with all of those. They seem reasonable, achievable to me. I bet you'll end the year with everything done!

Good luck!

Happy TT.

Akelamalu said...

Those are great resolutions Julia. I just made the one - lose weight and get fit - it's a work in progress. ;)

Unknown said...

I love your New Years resolutions and your pictures.

Didn't we agree that you were going to spend 15 mins a day on that office? Don't make me come over there with a shovel.

This is "do as I say not as I do" advice because I'm looking around and I think I'll need that shovel before I bring it over to you.

Camille Alexa said...

I make and break resolutions daily.

Good luck with yours! You've good some great ones.

Wylie Kinson said...

I ALWAYS make resolutions, personal and professional. I dwell on them for the weeks leading up to Jan 1st, write them down, mentally commit, then forget them by Jan 5th.
It's a great game!! :D

Kelly Boyce said...

Those sound like great goals! Which reminds me, I had a dream the other night that your Mom was singing on stage and you got up to join her and I was in the audience thinking 'wow they sound really great'.

Amy Ruttan said...

sounds like some great goals Julia.

Coming back to TO in October for Eloisa James?????

;)

My goals are mostly writing.

Flowerpot said...

Mine were writing related - I'm sure I should ahve made more but - well I thought I#d focus no writing instead!

Sandee said...

Sounds like some wonderful resolutions to me. Good luck. I have a feeling you will get these things done. Have a great day. :)

Unknown said...

Yeah Julia is back! I set a bunch of goals, but I didn't make many resolutions. I'm raring to go on them!

Toni said...

Honestly Julia, NOBODY can do a TT like you can. I loved this one. Love the mailing of the manuscript. Love your adorable dog. Love the poetry photo. Just love ya, friend.
Blessings,
~Toni~

SandyCarlson said...

Good ol' No. 11 is high on my list, too. Maybe 2008 will be our year.
I like your writing style.

Jill said...

This sounds all good to me!! You more getting the healty body and mind resolution!!
And as you know, my resolution is trying to put up an healty lifestyle and maintain it!

Tink said...

You can do it! Good luck on achieving those!
Thanks for visiting my expensive cities TT.
I saved the tag for the birth month meme. I'll do it, but I'm a bit busy. That's why I'm this late in return visits from TT. :-)