Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - 39 - 13 of My Favorite Songs From Movie Musicals



1 - O What a Beautiful Morning

Oklahoma!

Hugh Jackman


When I first discovered him in X-Men, and read about his previous stage role as Curly from Oklahoma! I longed for some way to see what was already over and done with. Then, voila - a filmed version of his performance was released. Dreams really do come true.



2 - Your Song

Moulin Rouge

Ewan McGregor




As I watched this film for the first time, I couldn't believe how many times it went in a direction I couldn't have predicted. This scene absolutely filled me with joy, especially the singing moon at the end. And Ewan McGregor is completely irresistable for me.




3 - Jack's Lament

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Danny Elfman




I love Danny Elfman's film scores and was charmed by his songs for this Tim Burton film. And to hear him sing this one is a treat. It often lodges in my head no matter what time of the year it is.




4 - I Remember/Stranger Than You Dreamt It

The Phantom of The Opera - Warning: the audio is extremely faint. You'll have to crank up your speakers in order to hear it.



Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler



I feel so sad for the Phantom as he sits waiting for his dream-come-true Christine to wake and join him at last. And when she goes a step too far and does what he couldn't conceive of, I just love his total freak out. I also love the way Gerry loads the words with ugly emotion, since he's an actor first and a singer second.




5 - Sweet Transvestite

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Warning: remember to turn down your speaker volume before proceeding!

Tim Curry








The more I watch this performance, the more amazed I am at Tim Curry's instincts and his fearless walk down the steps toward the end, head back and arms outstretched. For most people, that would be fatal, especially in those heels.




6 - Springtime For Hitler

The Producers

Michael Davis and cast

The first time I watched this scene I had one of my laugh attacks where my husband is on stand-by in case I might die laughing. It triggers a total asthmatic shutdown, really quickly with no warning. Meanwhile I'm still laughing like a hyena with tears streaming down my face. The thing that gets me is the look of horror on the faces of the audience members.







7 - Knights of The Round Table

Monty Python and The Holy Grail

Cast

When I first saw this as a kid, I was swept up by this scene's sense of glee and silliness. I come from a very silly family, so it felt good to realize other people shared our sense of zaniness. As an adult, this only gets funnier the more times I watch it. Especially the part where the line of knights rushes toward the camera.





8 - Bedazzled

Bedazzled

Peter Cook



This scene takes place after Stanley Moon (Dudley Moore) is given another chance by the devil (Peter Cook) to win the heart of the woman he loves. After becoming a pop star Stanley sings his hit 'Love Me'. But that song is followed by this one, and Stanley recognizes it's the devil messing around with him yet again. Blowing the raspberry is the safety hatch that gets Stanley out of this wish.






9 - With Cat-Like Tread

The Pirates of Penzance





Kevin Kline, Rex Smith and cast

Kevin Kline is all about giving 310% as he plays the Pirate King. Go, Kevin, go! I just love the unabashed over-the-top vibe to this scene.








10 - Simon Zealotes

Jesus Christ Superstar

Larry Marshall and Cast

Continuing with the over-the-top theme, this is one of my favorite scenes in any musical, ever. Could be the slo-mo given to the dancing. And it's so groovey, baby!









11 - Bottle Dance

Fiddler on the Roof

Roy Durbin, Ken Robson, Robert Stevenson, Lou Zambrogna and cast

Confession time. When I was a kid, we kept borrowing this album from the library over and over, until we realized we could buy it and just keep it (head slap.) My mom, my sister and I used to dance around the living room to this one. Here's the confession: I used to stare at the picture of the 2nd dancer from the right because I had a crush on him. I still love the way he moves.





12 - Peron's Latest Flame

Evita

Madonna, Antonio Banderas and cast

This was my favorite song from a production that played at the theatre where I worked. I really loved the clever staging of Evita's rise in status, as well as the music. When the film came out, I was impressed once again by the complexity of this song. And I can't resist Antonio.






13 - Tonight (Reprise)

West Side Story

Richard Beymer, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, Russ Tamblyn and cast

I just love how the tension builds by the end of this song. Everyone's heading towards multiple black moments. Bring it on!

24 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

What a selection. You have quite a range here. A common thread is passion. Clearly. God bless.

Camille Alexa said...

"Oh What a Beautiful Morning" but not Ado Annie's kissing song? Well...I guess it doesn't have Hugh Jackman.

Totally with you on #s 2 & 5.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Camille - I played Ado Annie in high school and will have a soft spot for 'I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No' forever!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Awesome choices! But no Rent? Truly one of my faves.

Personally, I adore The Nightmare Before Christmas. Glad to see it here alongside the great Monty Python.

pussreboots said...

From your list Fiddler on the Roof is my favorite. Happy TT.

Joy Renee said...

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar for the first time two years ago this month. I loved the whole thing but the song i couldn't get out of my head was 'I Don't Know How to Love You' it brought me to tears.

that movie was considered a scandal by our sect and when an English teacher played the album in class in Jr. High, i nearly had a panic attack and had to ask to be excused.

after seeing it, i could not understand what the problem was. the words flung about at the time were: sacreligious, disrespectful and blasphemy.

our sect's thing about movies in general is one of the reason i've got a huge hole in my cultural knowledge. sometimes i feel as tho i'm an immigrant from a foreign country.

my TT is 13 more LOL Author/Title combos (still haven't got those after pics. sigh.)

Kelly Boyce said...

I don't know which I love more - Moulin Rouge or Knight's of the Round Table in The Holy Grail!

storyteller said...

Thanks for the lovely walk down memory lane. I love musicals too and these songs are treasures indeed. I'd have had trouble choosing just 13 because there are so many more. Perhaps you'll end up with a series?
Hugs and blessings,

Darla said...

Ah, yes--Camelot is a silly place. :) I love most of these songs.

How about this one from Cannibal the Musical? Shpadoinkle

Open Grove Claudia said...

Boy, I sure don't know my musicals.... I have heard of some of these but not others. The pictures are amazing.

Happy TT.

Red Garnier said...

Loved your TT Julia!!! Fiddler on the Roof, I love that one. :)

Karina said...

You know, as I was going through this list, I was realizing I haven't seen most of these, and quite a few of them have been on my "to be seen" list for years. I must watch Moulin Rouge and Nightmare Before Christmas and Phanthom and...well, you get the idea! ;-) Great list Julia!

Sandee said...

I love how you did this with pictures. Very well done and an excellent list as well. Have a great TT. :)

Olga said...

Hugh Jackman- what can he not do????

Amy Ruttan said...

All excellent songs! Gosh I love Oklahoma ... but I'm a stickler for the old movie classic with Shirley Jones. Think I'm going to watch that right now.

I'm just a Girl Who can't say No!! ;)

Amy Ruttan said...

OH I would add Mamma Mia now, excellent MUSICAL.

Akelamalu said...

Great selection there Julia. I love Sweet Transvestite - a local singer does it as part of his act (without dressing up) and it goes down a storm at our local club.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, what a range and you hit some of my all time favorite musicals with Jesus Christ Superstar, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Rocky Horror Pictureshow.

I'm so glad I found this today, I have to look up some of my favorite clips on YouTube this afternoon. :)

Happy TT

~X

Lisa Andel said...

Oh hey, I'd forgotten about some of these. Thanks.

Sparky Duck said...

Liked most of the songs I have heard of. Hated Oklahoma, and there is no way you will ever catch me seeing JC Superstar

Ann said...

Great list. I've seen the Oklahoma. Love the music from West Side Story. Happy TT.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

The only one I didn't know and love was "Bedazzled". I'll have to check it out now.
I'd have "Anything You Can Do" from Annie Get Your Gun.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful songs -- I just love "Tonight" from West Side Story!

And I agree, Danny Elfman's film scores are excellent.

Now I've got "Sweet Transvestite" stuck in my head -- ha! Luckily I love it, too! :)

Jill said...

I didn't go to see all the clip(computer is slow, once more) , but how can you go wrong with a post containing Ewan McGregor, Hugh and Antonio Banderas?
And you make me remember I still have to buy that Moulin Rouge DVD!