Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - 38 - 13 Paintings by My Sister-in-Law, Anna Baccin

Welcome! (cheek kiss) Step inside - the cyber gallery is buzzing but it's not too crowded yet. Don't be shy about scooping up a wine or an hors d'oeurve. There's cute wait staff passing goodies around ;D

I'll introduce you to Anna when she's free. I think I see her - I guess she's outside doing a photo shoot. Oh sure, I can tell you a bit about her. She went to the Ontario College of Art in Toronto, where she earned a diploma for a four-year program in Fine Arts, focusing on Drawing and Painting. Her medium is oils on either canvas or board.

Anna was already married to my husband's brother Ken when I came on the scene - they have two boys, now. I know - how did I get so lucky to have her for my sister-in-law? Have no idea, but I'm thankful all the same.


She lives in Ottawa but loves returning home to Toronto whenever she can.








Here's her first piece. I'll let you stroll around. Enjoy the show and I'll be sure to bring her over before you leave.



1 - 'Nun in Florence'











2 - 'Ballerina'












3 - 'Figure sitting'











4 - 'Window seat'
















5 - 'Laura at piano'











6 - 'Two models'












6 - 'Pauline'













8 - Untitled













9 - 'Figure study'






















10 - 'il mondialismo' (worldism or globalization)





11 - 'Model reclining'












12 - 'Florentine albergho'










13 - 'Self-portrait'















Oh there she is! "Anna - hi!" (She's with our niece Emily.) "Come meet everyone."


"I appreciate you taking the time to come and view my artwork," Anna says as we all reach over for a glass of wine.

"I just disappear inside the atmosphere in your work," I say, sipping and gesturing over at the 'Florentine albergho'.

"I have tried to capture a mood of time and place," Anna says. "I love the idea of creating another world that people can inhabit and believe in, just like an author creates worlds in their writing, or how some filmmakers create them in movies."


Wow - the boys have been so great during the art show. But they want to go for a little walk, so I guess we'll say goodbye for now.

"Thanks Ken, for helping me get the artwork up for the show."

"No problem," says Ken.

More guests! I'd better go say hello. "Thanks for coming," Anna says to more gallery arrivals. "And thanks Julia, for doing me the honour of showing them on your Thursday Thirteen."

Oh, I just have to hug her for that! See you! - thanks for making my third cyber art show such a special event.

40 comments:

pussreboots said...

Beautiful paintings! What a talented sister in law you have. Happy TT.

Shelley Munro said...

Julia, what a great TT. Your sister-in-law is very talented. I think my favorite is Laura at Piano because I love the colors used. Thanks so much for sharing.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

These are quite wonderful...I feel like I got to go to her Art Show this way....! THANKS for this, so very much, and for your visit and your dear comment!

Flowerpot said...

I particularly like the ballerina one. But they're all great.

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

I hate to pick favourites as they're all wonderful, but The Ballerina and Untitled are the two that really catch my attention! She's truly a gifted artist!

Unknown said...

Your SIL is so talented. They're all so good but I love Window Seat. I keep going back and looking at it, trying to define how it makes me feel. Melancholy?

Those waiter's sure were cute.

poefusion said...

What fun this was. I enjoyed looking at Anna's paintings. I especially liked Window Seat No2, Figure Study and Il Mondialismo. The color/ tone within is gorgeous and she's left the painting open for someone to interrupt what it means to them. Thanks for hosting this art show it was wonderful. Have a nice day.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow. She's soooo talented. Those paintings were absolutely lovely.

Darla said...

Wow! She's very talented! My favorites are Window Seat and Pauline.

Karina said...

This was a beautiful TT Julia. Your S-I-L is indeed very talented, these are beautiful paintings. I'm partial to the ballerina because I wanted to be a ballerina when I grew up, and always have a weakness for ballerina paintings, but they're all beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love them! She's so talented!!

Akelamalu said...

They are just stunning! :0

Amy Ruttan said...

Wonderful paintings. Thanks for sharing. :D

Robot Dancers said...

That was some amazing artwork.
It took my breath away.

Unknown said...

Nice! AH CHO! Come on by and bring me some tissues for my Thirteen!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Awesome stuff once again, Julia. You come from one hell of a talented family. I'm envious.

the walking man said...

I worked 5 yeas in a major American museum hanging paintings, many of them I would go back and look at during the down time, I am glad none of these were there because I never would have gone into any other gallery. Wonderful work.

Peace

TWM

Leah Braemel said...

Wow, these are amazing paintings, Julia! I've always envied people who are so talented.

Sandee said...

What a great Thursday Thirteen. Very well done. Anna is indeed talented. Thank you for letting me attend the show. Have a great TT. :)

SandyCarlson said...

Stunning. I am speechless.

Susan Demeter said...

I really like #1 and #4 your SIL is quite talented! Happy TT :)

Red Garnier said...

What a beautiful show! How talented Anna is, too, Julia. I am still breathless for more, thank you for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your sister-in-law's work is gorgeous, brilliant, evocative! I just love her style. How talented she is! Thank you so much for sharing her with us. :)

Anonymous said...

A virtual art-show - what a great idea for a TT. The paintings are very dreamy. I couldn't pick a favourite - though I really liked the ballerina and the window one (the one you showcased for your wordless weds.)

No TT for me this week - spent my time on the Month Trait Meme you posted earlier.

Have a great weekend, XINE

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these, they were very engaging. Ballerina and Window seat in particular.

And thank for coming by :)

~X

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! "Figure Sitting" and the one "Laura At Piano" were my favorites!
I love these.
And she's lucky to have you to blog her.

Paige Tyler said...

Those are beautiful!

*hugs*
Paige

Jenny McB said...

I like the dreamy quality of the paintings and the real women depicted. It was a great art show and I was so busy nibbling on the cheese and enjoying the artwork that I didn't get a chance to say hello to you and your sister in person. Hope we can do this again soon.

And yes, you are right about the steeper roofs in Nova Scotia!

Joy Renee said...

these are all so alluring. there is something serene and meditative about every one of them. lovely work.

Julianne MacLean said...

Beautiful paintings. Wow. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Lovely TT, cuz.

Karina said...

Back to let you now I posted the Monthly meme you tagged me for today! ;-) Thanks, it was a fun one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing her work. It's really gorgeous!

Unknown said...

The way you wrote this made me feel like I was really there...or REALLY wanted to be! I love her work! There is something so classical about it...it seems like no one paints like that anymore.

Anonymous said...

Anna, I was very impressed with your lighting in paintings from Florence. It's just so different there, isn't it? Your figure paintings are so different from what I do. Your show made me appreciate the difference in artists' talents all the more.

Anonymous said...

Hey - that didn't work out right. Anna, it's Paulette Phillips commenting above.

Wylie Kinson said...

Marvelous work!! Thanks for sharing your sister in law with us, Julia. I especially loved Nun in Florence -- probably because I've been there and seen the Duomo and felt like she really captured its essence.

Annette Gallant said...

Wow. Your SIL's painting are gorgeous. I love how she uses colour. Hard to pick a favourite because they're all wonderful, but they're something about Untitled that really draws me in. I wonder what the man is thinking about.

And sorry I haven't done the meme you tagged me on yet. It's still in my draft file! It's been a weird few weeks, but I'm hoping to catch up on things this weekend.

Camille Alexa said...

Ooooh, I love 'Nun in Florence' and 'Florentine albergho'.

The self portrait is very nice, too.

Olga said...

I love your SIL's style, the untitled one is my fav, looks so interesting.

Kelly Boyce said...

The paintings are gorgeous! Very moody and atmospheric.