Sunday, December 20, 2009

Poetry Train Monday - 132 - All Morning, Most of the Afternoon


For my second last found poem for 2009, I've returned to my diary from 1980, when I was in grade eleven.
My high school years were wrapped around the Prince Andrew Chorus, and I still cherish my friendships which have continued from this sparkling time in my life.

We used to go caroling at Christmas time, heading towards the home of whomever hosted a party afterwards.

For more poetry, Ride the Poetry Train!















All Morning, Most of the Afternoon


It took me all morning
Most of the afternoon
To clean all the party mess away

Dad and Michelle had driven me
Up to the portable
Quarter after seven
They'd come inside
We'd waited for everyone to come

I didn't mind it, though
Cleaning the party away
Cleaning gave me the opportunity
To think about last night again

Last night Dad and Michelle
Piled all the munchies people brought
Piled them into the car
And carted them home

Dad was laughing so much
Laughing at how crazy the portable is
I felt so happy
Happy to see him enjoy himself so much

We'd all set out at 7:30
To sing our little Christmas songs
It was absolutely freezing
I'd had two layers of everything on

Cleaning the party away
It took me all morning
I thought about last night again

We'd gone a little ways down Spikenard
Down Farquarson and Shawinigan
Down Guysborough and Mount Edward to Kelly
And then to my house

We'd sung two verses of one song
Then We Wish You a Merry Christmas at every house
At Ted's house where
We'd gotten molasses candy
At this other house where
They'd passed a box of Turtles among us
We'd sung a verse of O Come All Ye Faithful
Besides

We'd sung two verses of
Joy to the World
Under the carport at my house
Mom had laughed
At all of us frozen carolers
As she stood in the doorway

Most of the afternoon
It took me to clean the
Party away, but I
Didn't mind
I thought about last night

Everyone had piled in
Had peeled their coats off
Mom had dished out the
Hot mulled wine
I'd scurried to my bedroom
I'd changed into my new dress

I'd danced
Danced
Danced
We'd all gathered around
The piano

As people wrapped their
Arms about each other to
Sing, how it made me
All warm inside

It took me all morning
It took me most of the afternoon
I cleaned all the party away

I thought about last night
How we'd all set out
How we'd sung our Christmas songs
How freezing it was
How I'd worn two layers

How it made me all warm inside

- Julia Smith, 1980

Linda Jacobs says I recently found my diary from 1963 or 4. Hmmm...maybe I'll try a found poem, too!

Michelle Johnson says You share the warmth of your family and friends with us so clearly. Makes one reminisce about their own families during the holiday.

Artpredator says How wonderful for you to have these happy memories written down and saved, to savor in later years and turn them into poems, to share in a way you'd never have expected nearly 30 years ago.

8 comments:

Stan Ski said...

Christmas and memories - now you've got me thinking...

Unknown said...

You've stirred up some Christmases past for me.

Akelamalu said...

Lovely memories for you Julia :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Sounds like an awesome Christmas.

Linda Jacobs said...

I love the way this ends.

I recently found my diary from 1963or 4. Hmmm...maybe I'll try a found poem, too!

poefusion said...

this is such a stirring poem about your time caroling and the party afterwords. you share the warmth of your family and friends with us so clearly. makes one reminisce about their own families during the holiday. hope all is well. have a great night.

Anonymous said...

how wonderful for you to have these happy memories written down and saved to savor in later years and turn them into poems to share in a way you'd never have expected nearly 30 years ago

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What fun memories. I can remember doing this too. We weren't a choral group just a motley crew of minstrels sharing our holiday cheer.