Sunday, April 15, 2007

Looking Forward to the Writer's Retreat

I've literally spent the entire day reading other people's blogs. I enjoyed myself so much that every time I looked over to check the clock, 3 hours had gone by.

I'm putting together the workshop I'm doing for the May retreat, which is on blogging. Today I checked in on a whole array of writer's blogs. I wanted to get the feel for what attracts me to one blog and not another. I looked at their profiles to see how many profile views there were. Were there a lot of widgets, images and links? Were there frustrating links that didn't work well?

It was very easy to get a sense of the writer's voice, which is the most useful thing about blogging. That's something I'll be looking at during my workshop - how to refine the writer's voice.

As for that retreat, I cannot wait. Spring is the perfect time for a weekend away. I need all-over renewal after the winter, not just creatively, and timing this writer's weekend for the same time that nature has her growth spurt is inspired.

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Well, I'm flattered that I'm one of the writers you chose to look in on, Julia!

If there's anything else I can do for you as you get ready for your retreat, holler!

Unknown said...

I wish I were going to the retreat. But, with kids, it's hard to get away for a weekend during the school year. And, it's my father's 75th birthday that weekend.

One thing about writer's blogs - I like the individual blogs rather than the group blogs.