Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A to Z Blog Challenge - N




Welcome to Day 14 of the  A to Z Blog Challenge. Today:


N

is for

New project - Dragonsfyre Book 2



For those of you who have followed my book tour during the first half of the A to Z Challenge, you've heard me mention that I'm currently working on Book 2 of my dark fantasy series.

What does that mean, exactly?

When I say I'm in revisions, what are revisions?

Some writers refer to this stage as edits, or the editing process. Process is a perfect word for this stage, as it describes both the journey embarked upon by the writer, and the changes made in the manuscript that needs fine tuning to truly shine.

The manuscript I'm working on now is once again a hybrid between two separate NaNoWriMo writing marathons. My first novel SAINT SANGUINUS began the same way, as two NaNoWriMo novels each written from deep within the singular POV of the two main characters.

I had a very tough time marrying these two manuscripts into one cohesive novel. One of my biggest blocks was the problem with timing. When I wrote with only one character to consider, some larger sequences wouldn't fit properly with the alternating POV when I switched back and forth between the hero and heroine.

While I struggled with that, I wondered 'why am I doing this to myself?'

I'd pretty much vowed never to write in two split-up POVs again.

Then the next NaNoWriMo rolled around, and I remembered all of the surprising-even-to-me places to which that style of writing had led me. 'It's worth it,' I said to myself.



So here I am again, carefully easing pieces of scenes out here, fitting other pieces back in here. All with an eye to keeping my story's core solid, ensuring the framework remains strong yet flexible, like a suspension bridge.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh best of wishes for your projects! hello from a fellow a to zer!