Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2009 Blog Improvement Project - 4 - Blog Basics and Bloggy Bingo Update - Scroll down for Through the Opera Glasses


Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness suggested the following change-ups during the last challenge. I only managed to complete half of them, because my blog has a pretty set schedule and I could only manage those. But I was very pleased with how they did change things up for me, and I'll comtinue on with the other styles until I've got the whole list completed:

"1 - A Link Post - share a series of links your readers might find interesting * Here's a list of sites I frequent on the web. *
2 - A Short Post - less than 200 words * This redirect post pointing the way to my missmakeamovie post clocks in at 19 words. *
3 - A List Post - simple as it sounds, a list of some sort * My list of tins pictures for Dorte H fits this one. *
* A second list post: My Favorite Female Film Characters From the Past Ten Years *
4 - An Opinion Post - take an event, news, or another blog post and share your opinion on it
5 - A Poll or Question Post - post a poll or ask your readers a specific question for feedback
6 - A How-To Post - You’re an expert in something; big or small, share how to do it * My fiction writing research led to The Common Tea Bag and Its Uncommon Use In First Aid.*
7 - A Long Post - more than 700 words
8 - A Review Post - self-explanatory, I think. * Here is a review of the HD broadcast of the ballet La Fille Mal Gardee at Empire Theatres across Canada, this past Jan. 31st. *
9 - A Definition Post - show your expertise about a topic related to your blog
10 - FREE SPACE - a type of post of your choice (that is not the same as one of the previous posts)"
* My Second Blogiversary post is a once-a-year extravaganza, so I'll count that as my free space. *

This week's challenge:

"Write (or update) your “About Me” Page — Make sure you can see your About Me from the main page of your blog because someone just arriving at the site should be able to easily see a little information about you

Update your contact information

Add some sort of picture of yourself (if you’re comfortable with that)

Update your Blogroll

Create a link to your Archives on your front page (there are a lot of widgets for this, or you can find other ways to do it — either way, it’s important to do so people who want your archives can find them to get a sense of what they can expect from your blog)

Add a link (or make sure a link is there) so readers can subscribe to your blog via RSS

Get to work on other basic blog maintenance you’ve been meaning to do"
- Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness

I'm very, very interested in finding out how Archives widgets work. And a redo of my About Me page would definitely be in order, as well as perhaps moving it up from the very bottom of my sidebar...

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I'm with you on the Archive Widget! Don't understand this one. Although I have got an Archive on my blog. Wonder if this is the same thing? Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Dorte H said...

Julia, I am glad you could use your post about your beautiful tins as part of your bingo :)

I am not going to use one of yours tomorrow, but just wait - they will all appear on my blog before or later.

Travis Cody said...

This project proves that there is always something to blog about.