Monday, February 16, 2009

Through the Opera Glasses - 4 - My Top Ten Male Film Characters From The Past Ten Years


Last week I took a look at My Top Ten Female Film Characters From the Past Ten Years. This week I'll let you in on my favorite male film characters from 1999-2009.


1 - Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 1999



Star Wars: Attack of the Clones 2002


Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith 2005


2 - Anton Gorodetsky (Konstantin Khabensky) Night Watch 2004


Day Watch 2006


3 - The Phantom (Gerard Butler) The Phantom of the Opera 2004


4 - Maximus (Russell Crowe) Gladiator 2000


5 - Logan/Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) X-Men 2000


X-Men United 2003


X-Men: The Last Stand 2006


6 - King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) 300 - 2006








7 - Dwight (Clive Owen) Sin City 2005
















8 - Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban 2004















Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix 2007







9 - Leopold, Duke of Albany (Hugh Jackman) Kate & Leopold 2001


10 - John Worthing (Colin Firth) The Importance of Being Ernest 2002

6 comments:

efaqffqaewfm said...

Fantastic picks :) I would definitely have Maximus, Wolverine and Leonidas on my list... I tend towards the guys in historical flicks.

Louise said...

I love Maximus as well - and I loved the movie. Have seen it numerous times now, but remember how stunned I was the first time I saw it. I also love Joaquin Phoenix in that movie. I do not love his character, of course, but the acting is great imo.

Nightwatch...Is that the remake of the Danish original? Haven't seen the American one, only the Danish one.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Louise - no, there is an American remake of that Nightwatch, with Ewan McGregor, and I've also seen the original Danish one and love that one.

This 'Night Watch' is a Russian film, in Russian called 'Nochnoy Dozor'. It's a paranormal cold war type story between officers protecting the agents of Light and Dark. Night Watch are Light Others who keep tabs on the Dark Ones. Day Watch are Dark Others who keep tabs on the Light Others. I can't tell you how much I love these films.

Unknown said...

Great picks! I also enjoy Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, and Gary Oldman. Of course, my 2 favorite characters are Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow from Pirates and Jason Statham's Frank Martin from the Transporter movies.

Louise said...

Wow, you saw the Danish Nightwatch! Cool.

And yes, you are right, I do remember that is was Ewan Mcgregor playing in the American one.

I have never heard about those Russian movies, but I am so not a cineastic person. I rarely go to the movies and there can go weeks if not months between me watching a dvd. Sometimes though, we sit down and watch a whole season of some sitcom :-) But movies, really, I never watch movies.....but that has got to change I think. I love to watch movies!

Travis Cody said...

I see you tend toward mostly the darker haired gentlemen. I wonder how I missed the female characters post?