Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer Stock Sunday - 12












Come along with me for my perfect summer day.

On Saturday I had a day to myself, headed over to Halifax for my acupuncture appointment and got my first shot of a bee all summer while I waited for the bus.














I took the bus to Park Lane to see the Pacific Northwest Ballet's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.














Part of Empire Theatre's ballet series, this is a high definition broadcast of a filmed performance.














Choreographed by George Ballanchine, this version had gorgeous sets and costumes, which were inspired by Victorian fairy paintings like Fairies in a bird's nest by John Anster Fitzgerald.











Production photos by Angela Sterling


















A divertissement in the final act by Louise Nadeau and Olivier Wevers was so beautifully perfect I had shivers. Their pas de deux captured everything about falling in love that can never be put into words. Really special.

Below is a clip from the production which takes place in the fairy realm. Patricia Barker is Titania and Charles Newton her cavalier.
















After the ballet, I grabbed a bite of lunch and watched a Zombie Walk parade by. It lasted quite a while - there must have been a good hundred participants, most of them really getting into it and walking and groaning like zombies.














Then I walked up Spring Garden Road to the Public Gardens to enjoy the very rare hot summer day. It's been foggy/rainy/damp for much of the season.














As usual, there was a wedding party having photos taken. This was a two-bride wedding party! I'm very pleased to say that same-sex marriages are legal here in Nova Scotia.


















I took the bus home, walking part of the way through the wooded greenbelt system that runs throughout Cole Harbour.
















The path brings me to the top of the hill leading to our house. That's it nestled into the trees at the bottom of the hill.

So glad you could share such a perfect summer day with me. For more Summer Stock Sunday, visit Robin at Around the Island.

8 comments:

Robin said...

What a beautiful place to spend a summer day, I'd love for you to show me around someday.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Robin - I would love to!

M. said...

That was truly a memorable day. How cool that you documented it.
Me, I gave my middle child his heart's desire and took him on a train ride. TTC subway train, that is - we took him right up to the first car, where he sat next to the engineer's little space and saw straight ahead. What a thrill. Even more when the engineer opened his door and smiled at him, and they both discovered they have the same first name. Wowsers. We took a picture of them together. Now his goal to become an engineer when he grows up is even more firmly cemented.

Lesley Speller said...

Wow that does sound like a delightful day!

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

Hi Julia. I read your comment on Lina's blog about Richard Armitage as Thorton. I thought I'd pop over to yours to tell you to check out my fan blog! www.armitagefanblog.blogspot.com

Let me know if you have any comments/suggestions! :)
~Nat

kayerj said...

a midsummers night eve performed in ballet, how enchanting. my picture is here, hooray for summer!

poefusion said...

Sounds like you had the perfect day. I'd like to see A Midsummer Night's Dream. The gazebo where the two brides were is beautiful. And, I could easily get lost in those woods. Hope all is well.

Travis Cody said...

That clip gave me chills. That seems to me what ballet should look like...fluid and seemingly effortless.

Bravissimo.