Saturday, August 29, 2009

Summer Stock Sunday - 14











Had an absolutely wonderful day with fellow writers from my writers' group. This is the kind of day that is so renewing, in so many ways.

With Tropical Storm Danny settling in over the province today and expected to pick up steam overnight, what better way to spend a soggy summer day than book browsing and having lunch with my favorite I'm-a-total-fangirl author, Jo Beverley?

Pat picked me up in the morning, having already picked up Judith James, and we headed out to Tantallon to get Bev Petterson.














We stopped in at The Annex at Scotia Lassie Books for some tea, conversation and of course a little book buying.




























L to R: Bev Petterson, Pat, store owner Carolyn Laurie and Judith James, with her new release Highland Rebel and her debut novel Broken Wing.














We had such a lovely afternoon chatting, sipping wine and sitting down to hostess Heidi's fantastic seafood chowder while the rain fell steadily upon the LaHave River just down the hill from Heidi's century home.

Clockwise from L: Judith James, playwright and novelist Heather Veinotte, Jo Beverley, Bev Petterson, Pat, Jennie Marsland and our hostess Heidi.














We all just happened to have a copy of a Jo Beverley book for her to sign before we left. Mine was her latest release The Secret Wedding, which I haven't read yet but will very soon.



For the past 33 years, Jo Beverley has made her home in Canada. But she is now on her way back to her native England. Our group was incredibly pleased to have an opportunity for a relaxed afternoon together before she leaves our shores for her return home.

For more Summer Stock Sunday, visit Robin at Around The Island.


Robin says I could really go for a bowl of chowder, too.

Jientje That tea looks delicious!

Joyce says Rain and books and tea and friends makes a good combo to help ward off a hurricane.

13 comments:

Robin said...

What a delightful way to spend a rainy summer afternoon. I could really go for a bowl of chowder, too.

Jientje said...

You had fun, despite the rain!! That tea looks delicious!

Lilly Cain said...

Ooh, I was so jealous! I wanted to go but just couldn't. Looks like you all had a wonderful time. :)

Joyce said...

Rain and books and tea and friends makes a good combo to help ward off a hurricane. Thanks for sharing your fun day and photos.
Joyce

Louise said...

I am so envious I do not have groups like that. It all sounds and look wonderful and cosy! I have spent my Sunday going back from a short weekend at my in-law's place and own parent's place with other family members, and while it was a brillant weekend, it was also tiring, so now I am just going to relax a bit before dinner :-)

Unknown said...

I was so disappointed I couldn't be there. Looks like it was a wonderful afternoon.

Melli said...

Truly a wonderful way to spend a soggy summer day! Pass that wine, would you?

poefusion said...

How wonderful to spend time with friends and eat great food. Glad you guys had a great time. Have a great night.

Thomma Lyn said...

Sounds like a fabulous time was had by all. Love the pictures. You all look so happy! :)

Dorothy said...

What a lovely way to spend the afternoon on a rainy day.

Mmmmm...the chowder. I bet it was scrumptous.

Good luck with Danny.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Robin - The chowder was yum-o.

Jientje - I think the tea was a white tea. It was light and delicious.

Lilly - The summer goes by fast, but when you miss writer friends, it seems a bit long. Can't wait to see you at our first writers' meeting in Sept.

Joyce - The hurricane lost steam and became a tropical storm. So we didn't have too much trouble with it. It was a cosy inside day.

Louise - There was so much socializing, I had to take a nap once I got home. So I know what you mean about seeing all your relatives.

Anne - I wish you had been there, too!

Melli - White or red?

Michelle - It's one of the perfect days for me.

Thomma Lyn - How could I not be happy to hang with Jo Beverley? It's exactly like Aphra and Isaac. Exactly. Except that I'm already married.

Dorothy - Danny turned out to be a whole lot of rain - a whole lot. But not too much wind.

It would be SO nice to have a Blog Buddy lunch someday. Don't you think?

Akelamalu said...

Nice to know the rain didn't dampen your spirits! :)

Ellie said...

I like those flower teas - that bloom in a hot water - such a great vision!